I’m back with another decorating dilemma, this time with Christine with Decorum DIYer. She has a master bedroom that has her all frazzled, trying to figure out just what to do with it. It’s around 13 x 13.5’, so not a big room. You can also see those long and skinny windows are a bit of a challenge too. Christine and her hubby are not into “light and airy” and like moody, deep tone colors.
So, let’s see what we can do to help Christine with her decorating dilemma. I must admit, I’m not coming up with a lot off the top of my head, but Christine has already made a moodboard herself in Olioboard, so I’ll share that here as well. She has a great start already to getting the feel she wants, I think.
Here are those problem windows. In a room this small, it’s hard not to have the bed in front of the windows.
Both main walls have a row of windows. It’s really hard to make these windows appear bigger than they are due to how long and skinny they are. Ideas for Christine?
I think this is a door to the closet and the bathroom. She has an orange tone in the bathroom.
Ceiling fan must stay, but maybe a new style?
Christine’s own moodboard. I really like the colors she has and if she can bring this vibe into her room, she’ll have a warm and cozy space. Here’s what she said about the room:
- The furniture must stay for now, but I am open to painting furniture pieces. The night stands have been replaced with faux bamboo chests (which I love) and they must stay and I am really don’t want to paint them. I sort of dig the original, vintage finish.
- My husband is attached to the current wall color, but I am open to changing it, as long as the room stays in autumnal hues. We are not into ‘light and airy’. We gravitate to darker, moodier spaces with tons of worldly influence, particularly Asian inspired (this includes Japan, China, Indonesia, India, etc… – as in the entire continent of Asia).
- We want to paint the trim and doors and would like to add architectural elements to the ceiling and possibly paint it darker than the walls. The bathroom is currently orange, but we are open to changing that as well, but the tile is there to stay for a long time.
- The room is small for a master bedroom, roughly 13′ x 13.5′.
- As the home is a 1960’s rancher, the windows are wide and squat for privacy, but not my favorite.
- One wall is a bank of by-pass doors which function as both closet doors and the master bathroom’s door. I dislike the limiting access that by-pass doors present and dislike even more that my master bathroom’s privacy is dependent upon the closet door usage. Although the by-pass doors are space-saving, they are not attractive, nor ideal in terms of usage.
- Ceiling fan must stay (even if it is a different style), but needs to be more attractive.
- Master bedroom and master bathroom must relate. The room is a boring box, with no interesting detail, nor style.
Ok, let’s help Christine with her decorating dilemma. Feel free to chime in the comments with some ideas for her. I don’t have any great brainstorms right now, but I know all of you love to tackle this too.