While helping Layla look for her mercury glass candlesticks this week, I popped into TJ Maxx to, you know…help a friend out and look for those things and then on my merry way I’d be. Well, you know how that goes. I always get distracted. First by all the pretty Christmas decor that was already being marked down. Then, I strolled over to another area and spotted this pretty round side table. On clearance. For $60! And it’s actually real wood. Yep, that baby is sold. I was really wishing for a black round table to add on one side of the beachy guestroom bed and this will do the trick. I’m going to paint her black and she will be perfect.
You just never know when a bargain will present itself. And no, I didn’t find the candlesticks.
Birmingham girls! This Saturday is my feature article in the Spaces section of the Birmingham News. Beachy guestroom redo. Don’t miss it! Of course, I’ll share here too.
I was recently tagged by Stacey from The Blessed Nest for a Christmas meme. Now, I usually don’t play along with tags and awards very often (but I appreciate the thought AND I appreciate the awards that many of you have so generously passed to me!), so since it’s Christmas, I thought I’d participate in this one:
1) Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Definitely hot chocolate. Love homemade hot chocolate with real cocoa. My hubby makes great hot chocolate!
2) Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? We usually wrap our gifts, although with all adults in the family, we don’t do a lot of buying these days. The young adults get cash usually and me and my hubby don’t always exchange, although I have some fun things for him this year (shhhhh, just think AL football!)
3) Colored lights on tree/house or white? I love white lights inside so that’s what we use. Peter on the other hand, loves colored lights, so we compromised and last year after Christmas, I bought him 10 boxes of twinkling colored lights for him to string across the bushes in front of the house. I have to say, they are pretty!
4) Do you hang mistletoe? No, but I always had fond memories of it growing up, wishing someone would kiss me under it! LOL
5) When do you put your decorations up? As soon as possible, right after Thanksgiving or sometimes the week of Thanksgiving, I’ll get everything out. As you can probably tell, I love Christmas!
6) What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Oh, the sweets always call my name. Probably our cranberry congealed salad is something that I always look forward to. We’ve been making it in my family for at least 15 years and I love having it left over to snack on.
7) Favorite holiday memory as a child? Growing up as a preacher’s kid in a small church in Georgia, we always had a Christmas program and the kids got up and recited a little Christmas saying (remember that?). I took it very seriously and wanted to do a good job and I remember always being nervous, peeking out from behind the white sheets that were makeshift curtains hung with safety pins across the front of the church. I was an angel once or twice. Oh, the magic of it all!
8) When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Since my dad was a pastor, my parents never really “pushed” Santa at all, so I don’t ever remember believing in him. I think I just knew that our presents came from mom and dad and we didn’t get into the hype of Santa at all. We knew what the real story was and what was really important.
9) Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? sometimes hubby and I do open gifts on Christmas Eve, depends on what we have going on the next day.
10) How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Well, you all know I love to decorate for Christmas. My tree is done in golds and burgundies and I’ve added ornaments during the years. All white lights and feathers and pretty ribbon, that’s me!
11) Snow! Love it or dread it? Well, it doesn’t really matter, since down here in the South, we hardly ever see snow. We had a little bit last year, enough for the kids in the neighborhood to make a snowman, but I can’t ever remember having a White Christmas.
12) Can you ice skate? Yes, I can, but not very well. The only ice I’ve ever been on was at a rink in Atlanta. I can rollerskate like a crazy woman, but ice skating was a lot more challenging to me. Made my ankles hurt!
13) Do you remember your favorite gift? I’d have to say it was my Barbie doll, circa 1965 or so. I still have her! Go and look!
14) What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? Absolutely celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. As I get older, it just gets more important to me, as our country gets further and further away from the truth of who HE is and what He has done for all of us. They just don’t get it!
15) What is your favorite holiday dessert? I have SO many favorite desserts, anything chocolate will do.
16) What is your favorite holiday tradition? I love going to Christmas Eve services at church and taking in the sights and sounds, singing Christmas carols and lighting candles.
17) What tops your Christmas tree? A bow with feathers and glittery things.
18) Which do you prefer — Giving or Receiving? I’ve gotten plenty over the years, so now I just like to enjoy family and friends and don’t care all that much about what I get. I do enjoy giving to my hubby and a few others. And instead of making it all about the “stuff”, I have started making something handmade for my family.
19) What is your favorite Christmas song? Silent Night and O Holy Night
20) Candy canes? I do like candy canes, but they aren’t my first choice for candy. If nothing else is around, I’ll eat them!
21) What do you want for Christmas? I’m really not asking for anything this Christmas. I have a new flatiron that just came in since my old one broke, so that will do just fine for me. Don’t know what my hubby has in mind. We don’t go overboard for Christmas.
22) Do you attend an annual Christmas party? Last year, we had a LOT of parties to go to and this year, only a couple.
23) Do you dress up on Christmas or wear PJ’s? Usually just a casual day, not dress up. Not PJ’s either.
24) Do you own a Santa hat? Absolutely not! Or a Christmas sweater either.
25) Who do you normally spend Christmas with? Family, always
That’s probably WAY more than you ever wanted to know about me!
I love the side table. That is a good buy considering most furniture now is partical board. I love TJ Maxx Marhalls, Homegoods. I like your fun getting to know you survey. Your a sweet lady. Merry Christmas.
Good morning Rhoda 🙂
It really was fun getting to know more about you. Are you SURE you don’t have a Christmas sweater lurking in your closet somewhere? LOL
Your answer to that question made me laugh, because my aunt bought matching sweaters with big Christmas trees on the front for me and Annie one year and when we opened them we just looked at each other knowing exactly where those would be going LOL
I just toured your home and it looks amazing. You really outdid yourself! LOVE it all 🙂
May you have the Merriest and most blessed Christmas ever sweet friend!
DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ says
Hi Rhoda, that was nice reading those things about you…thanks for sharing!
I DO own a santa hat but not a Christmas sweater..LOL & up here we will definitely be having a white Christmas.
Happy Holidays! DebraK
Daisy Cottage says
Merry Christmas dear Rhoda!!! I have loved each and everything that you have shared… been catching up with you here and there over the past few weeks – it all is beautiful and reflects your spirit in every way. I love your new table too! I hope 2009 brings you much joy and happiness as you certainly bring that to all of us. AND congratulations on your latest article – go Rhoda!!!! I’m so proud of you!
Rhoda, that was fun. Your answers made me smile.
That bread pudding recipe you shared sounds absolutely wicked. I do believe it may make an appearance at my house this holiday season.
The table was a great find. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the transformation.
Hello sweetie! Don’t you remember that column in my dining room is the one I got when we met in Clanton last summer? I just plopped it down there and that’s where it’s stayed since then!
So far I’ve had a busy, busy day starting at 9:00 with mom, grocery store, beauty shop, more grocery store and I’m FINALLY home! We’re going to the lake tomorrow for Christmas with my sister and then Shane and Jennifer will be here tomorrow night until Sunday. We’ll be in B’ham on the 25th (I think) but it will be a quick trip that day so just as soon as the hectic Christmas rush is over I’m planning on coming up to see you! How does that sound?
Merry, Merry Christmas dear friend!
What a great find for the $$. I’m sure you’ll be whipping out that spray paint..lol. I enjoyed the “getting to know you”.
I lvoe that store! I have one very close to me that I pop into every now and then and always find something to bring home…you really can’t beat the prices and the one I shop with has even dropped the prices on things for me when I ask. Great find, love the table!
Have you heard Sinead O’Connor’s version of Silent Night? Gives me goose bumps.
That table is great, and I’m glad you participated in the tag because it was a fun one to read.
Elizabeth-Plain and Simple says
I always enjoy a visit to TJ Maxx. I love the side table, and I think it will be pretty painted black. Merry Christmas 🙂
Terri and Bob says
That is a beautiful side table. You got a deal!
Good answers! I am with you on the Christmas Sweaters. No, mam!
Rhoda, you are just a doll!!
Can I be you when I grow up?
(I do think next year all of your blog readers should send you a holiday sweater, though… The tackier, the better. Haha!)
Wow! Only $60.00??? Great find.
DESIGN BY CATHLEEN says
Your answers are so cute! I always get into trouble every time I walk into a store! LOL
Excellent meme Ms. Rhoda…and hey, what’s so bad about Christmas sweaters??? I have more than a few, but that’s because I’m old …
LOL 😉 Bo
It is amazing how much you can learn about a person in one short interview. Thanks for sharing! Great deal on the table. Paint opens up so many doors.
Have a wonderful Holiday!