I’ve got another great homemade recipe to share with you from my mama’s kitchen. Homemade apple pie. She makes a good one. Really, really good one! We have loved her apple pies for as long as I can remember.
It’s a simple and easy recipe and I hope you’ll enjoy it too. From mom’s kitchen to yours!
Isn’t it a beauty? She brushes the crust with egg white to brown it up like this. It’s an old trick that you probably already know, but it sure makes a pretty pie.
It looked so good I had to share it with all of YOU.
This was my slice, complete with ice cream. Another little trick she does is to add a few dried cranberries in there with the apples. Great flavor!
You can see them peeking through here. This was after we cut the pie for lunch and boy, was it delish! Perfect dessert for Fall.
Iris’s Homemade Apple Pie (see Recipe below to print)
See how easy that is? And let me tell you, it is out of this world good. You know how store bought apple pies are a lot of crust and not much apple sometimes? This one is filled smack up with apples and is really tasty. WE love it!
- Sliced apples
- Flat pie crusts (2)
- Dried cranberries (optional)
- Roll out a pie crust. (She uses the kind that is already flat. You can then put it in your pretty pie plate. She doesn’t make her own crust anymore, since these are so readily available and good.
- Slice up apples (peeled or unpeeled, she does it both ways, just depends on what you like). She used Golden Delicious for this recipe, but any apples will do. About 5 or 6 apples, she makes sure they are piled up pretty high since they will cook down a bit.
- Put sliced apples in a bowl and mix with flour and sugar (approx. 1 TBL flour and enough sugar to sweeten) and also depends on the kind of apple you use (tart or not), as to how much sugar to add. Around 1 or 2 TBL. sugar. Add dried cranberries if you wish. Add cinnamon. Stir all together.
- Pour in pie plate over crust. Cover with another crust and crimp edges. Brush with egg white.
- Bake at 350° for 45 min. to an hour, until crust is nice and brown.