Today’s post will most likely elicit some good discussions. Did you happen to catch this HGTV special recently? Evidently there are 25 Top Decorating Mistakes that we absolutely should not do. Oh, the horror of it all! I was holding my breath, hoping against hope, that I had not ever committed the decorating sins that I was about to behold. Can you hear the sarcasm here? OK, so I did commit a few of them….let’s see if YOU are off the hook!
- Fake flowers and plants (I confess, I have both in my home at the moment, although not nearly as many as I used to.)
- Too many pillows, on the bed or sofa (yes, I’m guilty of this one too)
- Knick-knack overload (have plenty of these, but not as much as a granny would)
- Fear of color (apparently, this is not one of my problems)
- Ignoring windows (not a problem for me either)
- Pushed back furniture (don’t do this for the most part, if there’s room to float, I do it)
- Tacky couch covers (they were talking clear plastic, can you imagine? does anyone do that anymore? I never see it in the South)
- Frames too high (this is a pet peeve of mine too)
- Improper lighting (I think I have this one covered just fine)
- Floating rugs (nope, not a problem either)
- Too many colors/patterns (love color & patterns, but I think I’m under control)
- Furniture that doesn’t fit (I think they mean oversized & too much in one room)
- Following fads (I have been a wee bit guilty of following some fads, but only the good ones)
- Everything matches (this seemed to be too much of one color in a room, everything the same color).
- Lack of traffic flow (not good for directing foot traffic in a room, I’m OK with this one)
- Uncomfortable diningroom chairs (mine are upholstered & completely comfortable)
- Too formal (nope, I’m not that formal in any room)
- Keeping something you hate (nope, I will not have anything out that I hate)
- Lopsided furnishings (this is balance in a room, not having too much on any one side)
- Outdated accessories (don’t think I have too many of those, but my mother sure does)
- Themes (I’m not much for themes either)
- Undressed cables (hidden for the most part, I did just tack down the white satellite cable in our bedroom with white tacks next to the white baseboard..much better).
- Ignoring the foyer (oh, I love my foyer & would never ignore it)
- Too many family photos (have a few in the livingroom, but not overload)
- Toilet rugs (I gave up the contoured toilet rugs long ago, but we do have a rectangular rug in front of the toilet, that tile is entirely too cold in the winter. I do have one of those toilet seat covers, yes on all 3 toilets…call me tacky, but I like them, this is not a hotel…but, I’m thinking I might take them off eventually :). Fess up…who has a toilet rug OR toilet seat cover? I want to hear from all of you! Is it a Southern thing? There are tons of them still in all the bath stores.
OK, true confession time. How many of these have YOU committed? I can tell this is gonna be a good discussion. I recently wrote about this topic over at Blissfully Domestic , the online magazine and got some really fun comments going. I’m a Decorating contributor over there and will be posting about once a week, so go and check it out, join up, and read lots of other fun stuff, not just decorating!
Speaking of HGTV, one of my blog friends here in Alabama, Layla at The Lettered Cottage is auditioning for HGTV’s Design Star. Go over and vote for her here and let’s help get her on the show! She’s an adorable and talented girl and I’d love to see her on the show next season. If you haven’t visited her blog, please do so, you will love it. Best of luck, Layla!
You’ll notice my banner got a new Fall makeover too! Here’s to cooler weather just around the corner.