Today’s post will most likely elicit some good discussions. Did you happen to catch this HGTV special recently? Evidently there are 25 Top Decorating Mistakes that we absolutely should not do. Oh, the horror of it all! I was holding my breath, hoping against hope, that I had not ever committed the decorating sins that I was about to behold. Can you hear the sarcasm here? OK, so I did commit a few of them….let’s see if YOU are off the hook!
- Fake flowers and plants (I confess, I have both in my home at the moment, although not nearly as many as I used to.)
- Too many pillows, on the bed or sofa (yes, I’m guilty of this one too)
- Knick-knack overload (have plenty of these, but not as much as a granny would)
- Fear of color (apparently, this is not one of my problems)
- Ignoring windows (not a problem for me either)
- Pushed back furniture (don’t do this for the most part, if there’s room to float, I do it)
- Tacky couch covers (they were talking clear plastic, can you imagine? does anyone do that anymore? I never see it in the South)
- Frames too high (this is a pet peeve of mine too)
- Improper lighting (I think I have this one covered just fine)
- Floating rugs (nope, not a problem either)
- Too many colors/patterns (love color & patterns, but I think I’m under control)
- Furniture that doesn’t fit (I think they mean oversized & too much in one room)
- Following fads (I have been a wee bit guilty of following some fads, but only the good ones)
- Everything matches (this seemed to be too much of one color in a room, everything the same color).
- Lack of traffic flow (not good for directing foot traffic in a room, I’m OK with this one)
- Uncomfortable diningroom chairs (mine are upholstered & completely comfortable)
- Too formal (nope, I’m not that formal in any room)
- Keeping something you hate (nope, I will not have anything out that I hate)
- Lopsided furnishings (this is balance in a room, not having too much on any one side)
- Outdated accessories (don’t think I have too many of those, but my mother sure does)
- Themes (I’m not much for themes either)
- Undressed cables (hidden for the most part, I did just tack down the white satellite cable in our bedroom with white tacks next to the white baseboard..much better).
- Ignoring the foyer (oh, I love my foyer & would never ignore it)
- Too many family photos (have a few in the livingroom, but not overload)
- Toilet rugs (I gave up the contoured toilet rugs long ago, but we do have a rectangular rug in front of the toilet, that tile is entirely too cold in the winter. I do have one of those toilet seat covers, yes on all 3 toilets…call me tacky, but I like them, this is not a hotel…but, I’m thinking I might take them off eventually :). Fess up…who has a toilet rug OR toilet seat cover? I want to hear from all of you! Is it a Southern thing? There are tons of them still in all the bath stores.
OK, true confession time. How many of these have YOU committed? I can tell this is gonna be a good discussion. I recently wrote about this topic over at Blissfully Domestic , the online magazine and got some really fun comments going. I’m a Decorating contributor over there and will be posting about once a week, so go and check it out, join up, and read lots of other fun stuff, not just decorating!
Speaking of HGTV, one of my blog friends here in Alabama, Layla at The Lettered Cottage is auditioning for HGTV’s Design Star. Go over and vote for her here and let’s help get her on the show! She’s an adorable and talented girl and I’d love to see her on the show next season. If you haven’t visited her blog, please do so, you will love it. Best of luck, Layla!
You’ll notice my banner got a new Fall makeover too! Here’s to cooler weather just around the corner.
Birmingham girls: See the note on my left sidebar. I’m going to a big neighborhood yardsale on Saturday a.m. bright and early. Just email me if you’d like to join me!
Dena ~ swaddlecottage says
I am in serious trouble…toilet rugs, faux floral arrangements…lots of patterns…gulp. I may need to do a little work over here. Sigh…but I’m not getting rid of my granny clutter! Well maybe not all of it anyway.
Jillian, Inc. says
Oh gosh, I plop down and prop up fake greenery at the drop of a hat. And pillows…oh my word, they are the best for adding color, texture, filling space and cozying things up.
What a fun list, especially the toilet rug and so far I don’t have too many pillows but was thinking of buying more?
I loved the granite on your old kitchen counter top makeover. We are currently considering a full granite counter but know it will cost more than we want to put in our current home. Did you enjoy the tiled granite and was it hard to keep the grouting clean? We also have the problem of an angled corner which complicates things.
We watched that show and was shocked at some of them, and yes, I still have toilet rugs. Come on HGTV, this is real life out here. They are nice and CLEAN! And guess what??? I am keepin’ em! And the floating rugs??? I don’t have any, but I have seen designers themselves on TV do it!! But I am still a loyal watcher. Other than that…I am not admitting to anything! When the decorating police come…someone bail me out ok??? Hope you are having a good weekend.
Not guilty. No toilet rugs or seat covers here.
kari and kijsa says
Happy Labor Day! Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement!
kari & kijsa
Cote de Texas says
GREAT ARTICLE!!!! love this. you need to get rid of your toilet seat cover and get a gorgeous dark wood cover. now THOSE are beautiful! I want those soooo bad.
thanks for your comments. you are always so sweet!
Didn’t you just love the DRAMA of the show ( which I had seen before)? And who are these so called experts?? However, I have never known anyone who had toilet rugs or toilet covers. I guess we just like our feet cold up here in the North, lol!
Okay – I am pretty good..even though I still have way too many knick-knacks…but I have a good excuse – most are things that have been collected by my Grandmother, then handed down to my Mother and now to me… Is it okay if my knick-knacks are valuable though? ha ha…