Two years ago, I was right in the middle of my own kitchen renovation, so today I’m sharing some tips and ideas on how I think about designing a kitchen and what’s important to consider when you are undertaking a complete kitchen transformation.
What are some of the things to look at and consider?
For me, it was function and style. I wanted both when I renovated my kitchen. White kitchens are at the top of my list for looks and what I enjoy living with, so that was always my first choice for kitchen finish and color. Here are a few things to consider in a kitchen:
- Kitchen Cabinet Style – What feel and color do you want to live with in your kitchen? White is definitely my favorite, how about yours? Wood cabinets are also considered classic, they just aren’t as popular now and haven’t been for a few years. But, I’m sure the pendulum will swing the other way again and rich wood cabinetry will once again be back in vogue.
- Cabinet Hardware – This is also a subjective choice and there are so many to choose from: antique brass, shiny brass, nickel, bronze are just a few of the obvious choices.
- Countertop Material – Granite is still first choice for me, especially since the cost is so much more affordable now than even just a few years ago, but there are so many materials to choose from now. Marble, laminate, soapstone are just a few to consider.
- Appliances – Most of us are on some sort of a budget, so we have to live within those parameters. You can go all out on high-end appliances or buy mid-range that will work just as well. There are countless options for appliances and finishes as well. I’m still partial to stainless steel and feel that it is timeless and classic.
- Backsplash – Backsplash materials have certainly gone through a lot of changes over the last 10 years. I remember in my old kitchen renovation over 10 years ago, I was all in love with tumbled marble for the backsplash, as natural stones and granite were really coming into vogue in a big way. Since that time, glass tile in a range of colors has taken over, as well as classic subway tile. What do you love? I really try hard these days to keep my choices classic and timeless, but that is sometimes hard to see when you are in the middle of a trend. I chose classic white subway tile in my current kitchen and couldn’t be happier with it.
- Flooring – There are multiple choices for flooring too and I chose to continue my hardwood flooring all throughout my current house into the kitchen. It’s nice underfoot and I really love the contrast of dark floors and white kitchen cabinets. But, tile is also a great choice in the kitchen too, even though standing on tile can be bad on the back. I’d rather stand on wood.
- Open Shelving – I opted to add open shelving on top of the subway tiled wall in my kitchen and am so happy with that decision. Open shelving has gained popularity in the last few years and I can see why. It adds a level of sophistication and interest to a kitchen that you don’t get with traditional closed cabinets.
Those are the main things to consider in a kitchen, so let’s talk a little bit about all of those. My dream kitchen isn’t really high-end. In fact, I’ve never had a high-end kitchen in any of my homes, yet managed to enjoy every kitchen I’ve ever had. I like a working kitchen with a nice triangle area, meaning the sink, refrigerator and stove are all within a reasonable distance from each other, sort of a triangle shape. Mine is definitely like that and I have enjoyed having plenty of counter space.
I’ve gotten to tour many really large kitchens in showhouses and can’t even imagine having a kitchen as big a some I’ve seen, but a really huge kitchen isn’t necessary and a smaller to medium kitchen layout can be just as effective, in my opinion. My current kitchen is truly a dream kitchen for me and I’ve enjoyed it tremendously since I finished renovations almost 2 years ago.
Here’s an inspiration board with a few of my fave things highlighted that I used in my own kitchen. And you can check out my Pinterest board with lots more kitchen inspiration.
Are you in the market for a new kitchen?
I’m also sharing today an exciting giveaway that involves THE Nate Berkus! I love Nate!
Does your kitchen need Nate?
LG Studio & Nate Berkus
LG Studio announced its partnership with renowned decorator and product designer Nate Berkus for its high-end LG Studio kitchen line earlier this year. LG Studio chose to partner with Nate as a result of their shared commitment to living with what is well thought out and well designed, without sacrificing personality. His unique skill set complements LG Studio’s plans to continue delivering premium appliances built with sophistication and functional elegance in mind.
Timeless sophistication is the signature of the LG Studio Collection, a beautiful complement to the advanced technology that elevates the entire series. As the artistic advisor to the LG Studio Collection, Nate brings his celebrated style to LG’s premium appliances. His sophisticated yet accessible style resonates strongly with homeowners, and he is recognized amongst them as an inspirational expert on kitchen remodeling and design.
LG Studio Signature Kitchen with Nate Berkus
Nate and LG Studio have teamed up to help homeowners create their signature kitchen. The kitchen is the heart of the home, but for many, it’s one of the most difficult rooms to design. His expertise and insight will provide consumers with useful feedback to help them create their most beautiful kitchens. The LG Studio Signature Kitchen with Nate Berkus focuses on a kitchen web series in which Nate responds to kitchen remodeling and design-based questions from his and LG’s social communities in the form of personalized videos, some of which were shot during a live event at the LG Studio Kitchen in Manhattan last week. Nate also filmed five exclusive videos offering insight and expertise on various design trends, including achieving a well-appointed kitchen, summer in the kitchen, layered design, entertaining in the kitchen, and technology in the kitchen. Visit LGStudioKitchen.com to watch Nate in the kitchen sharing his expert design tips and insights!
“My Kitchen Needs Nate” Contest
Beginning June 19 and extending to July 31, consumers are encouraged to enter the “My Kitchen Needs Nate” contest in which the winner will receive a Nate Berkus designed and remodeled kitchen that incorporates LG Studio appliances. Contestants are asked to shoot a video of themselves in their kitchen, noting the personal inspiration point they want Nate to incorporate in his design and why they’re excited about LG Studio’s line of appliances. LG Studio and Nate will choose the winner based on the following criteria: compelling design opportunity, quality of LG Studio appliance-based answer and visibility of kitchen space. Once the renovation is complete, renovation episodes, tip videos and images capturing the renovation will be posted to LGStudioKitchen.com and shared across LG and Nate’s social properties.
Readers may submit video entries at LGStudioKitchen.com for a chance to win a new kitchen renovation, designed by celebrity designer Nate Berkus and furnished with LG Studio appliances.
Does your kitchen need Nate and the LG Studio line of appliances? Send LG Studio a video and tell them all about it. Make sure to include the following:
- You are the star. Make sure you’re in your kitchen and that LG Studio can see a 360° view of it.
- Tell LG Studio your story. Describe for them the design elements that matter most to you. NOTE: They’re going to see a lot of videos, so make it great!
- Tell LG Studio what you love so much about LG Studio appliances
- Enter the My Kitchen Needs Nate contest for a chance to win a new kitchen renovation, designed by celebrity designer Nate Berkus and furnished with LG Studio appliances
LG Studio Product Information
The LG Studio line provides consumers with great style and functionality and gives homeowners a great cooking experience in their own kitchens. With clean lines and a timeless feel, these appliances can fit into any style kitchen for years to come. And that’s a Signature kitchen!
With bold looks and innovative and intuitive technology, LG Studio will please the novice cook as well as full blown chefs. They cover everything from mega-capacity refrigerator-freezers to cooking appliances and dishwashers. Styles include premium stainless steel (still my personal fave!) and noticeable door handles and knobs. Touch screen control panels and interior LED lighting give a nice sophisticated look.
Nate Berkus gets the connection between a distinctive kitchen and the appliances and that is why he recommends LG Studio as a top ingredient in designing a signature kitchen that will stand the test of time. And isn’t that what we all want? A classic, timeless kitchen.
Learn more about the LG Studio Collection here.